Saturday 24 August 2013

Nine Worlds

Well, I'm back from Nine Worlds and finally have some time to update canvasandpaints!

I've had a hectic month - I volunteered for Oxfam at another music festival, Carfest North, which is unlike any festival I've ever been to in my life - people went to bed when the music finished, all the stalls and food outlets shut down by 11:00 pm, it was very strange.

I did post a series of paintings using my iphone (I'm sorry) camera, as I was painting them at festivals without my camera, ready to take to Nine Worlds to sell.

I painted more than I realised, and some didn't sell, so I'll be posting them later. I just wanted to tell you about Nine Worlds first.

I decided to go as soon as I saw someone tweeting about it, as it looked just my cup of tea - if you don't know about Nine Worlds, check out here.

It was a kickstarter funded convention, with a very positive statement on disability, race, sex and LGBTTQ stuff - which said "Nine Worlds is dedicated to providing a great convention experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexuality, disability, physical appearance, body size, race or religion. For this reason, we will not tolerate any form of harassment of convention participants. Con participants found to be engaging in harassment may be sanctioned or expelled from the con without refund.".

It was a joy to be there, from the second I arrived at the hotel. It was like coming home. The funny thing was watching airline cabin crew looking puzzled, and then seeing we were in the majority!

There was so much to do over the weekend - sci-fi, Dr. Who, tabletop gaming, Larping, books, poetry, steam punk, skeptic discussions, Rock Band in the evening. I met Adric (who the Cybermen killed on my birthday) (yes, I know he actually chose to die to save everyone else, but it WAS the Cybermen's fault!), met up with a few people I know from PAX, which was great, made some new friends, hung out with fabulous people all weekend. I also spoke at 2 panels, the first on disability and gaming, the second on difficulty and art in gaming. They were fun!

I'm so looking forward to next year - I'll definitely be going, maybe I'll see you there?

No comments:

Post a Comment